Monday, February 4, 2013

Bull skull Art

This is a beautiful bull skull covered in an acrylic mirror and gold leaf.  Around 7,000 pieces of 3/16 in. blue plastic mirrors took me about 300 hours to complete. I filled some areas where gaps were created with blueberry grout.  The skull came from Mexico and was purchased in a jewelry store selling precious silver jewelry on the River Walk in downtown San Antonio.




You wouldn't know it by looking at the Steer head below that it's twice the size of the blue one above.  Horn tip to tip is 4 feet and his head is huge.  Because they're real horns but longer and thicker than blue's, this one is heavy and needs a good support system to hang on the wall.  Again, this has Acrylic mirror showing the Texas Flag with a variety of sizes of gold and silver coverings for the horns. The breaks in the flag are where the curves of the skull help them lay flat.  All mirror is glued into place.  The real work is making the skull ready with steel bar supports for the horns and bondo to smooth out the rougher areas to help the mirror lay.  This skull was given to me by a friend to paint a Texas flag on it. When I got creative, he didn't like it and gave it back to me.




This crazy creation of a desert scene taught me a thing or two about too many colors of mirrors in one location.  I was surprised when the CEO of "Dance Therapy, Dance Your Depression Away!" Inc., hung this work on a dark purple wall.  You would not believe how beautiful it was.



I'm doing another one now and it's going to be a little different.  It will have an acrylic mirror but also dichroic glass.  I'll do something with the horns using a red lambskin.
I'll keep you posted on the finish of it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Job , are any for sale ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been away from this blog for years and I apologize for not responding sooner. Yes, they are all for sale. The Blue skull is 5K, the Texas flag is 1K, the Arizona Sunset is 3K

      Delete